Title: Horticultural Lead
Department: Operations Services
Position: Full TimeThis is a full-time hourly position at 40 - 44 hours per week. Spruce Meadows is a world-renowned show jumping venue which holds a number of tournaments throughout the year. Shifts will fluctuate to coincide with the busy Spruce Meadows Tournament Season.
(included, but are not limited to)
- Solid understanding of landscape horticultural practices involved in maintaining a 300+ acre property as it pertains to all aspects of the care of plants and trees on the site including propagation, pruning and pesticide application.
- Design exterior landscapes with bedding plants, perennials, flowering plants and preparing flower baskets.
- Budget management - Placing seasonal floral orders, supply orders etc.
- Oversee, create and install Show Jumping ring décor, working with Course Designers for placement. Create décor islands and planter boxes, place and move décor during the tournaments for multiple indoor and outdoor rings.
- Maintain extensive inventory of silk floral arrangements (for tournament and grounds décor)
- Manage Grounds staff and assign daily duties to ensure all areas are prepared to best horticultural practices
- Snow Removal - supervises, directs and ensures that snow removal is completed throughout the property as needed. Early morning and on call work required to have main roadways and parking lots cleared.
- Communicate effectively to direct resources and influence contractors, understanding of contract administration and the ability to ensure contractor performance.
- Assist Manager of Grounds with overall grounds and irrigation maintenance
- Divot and turf repairs as required.
- Maintenance and upkeep of all equipment and tools.
- Lead crew members in absence of Manager of Grounds
- Provides information and services to visitors in a friendly and courteous manner
- Certificate or extensive working knowledge in horticulture, arboriculture, and irrigation
- Must be able and willing to obtain an Alberta Pesticide license at the beginning of job duties
- Organizational proficiency & strong time management skills
- Strong team approach and willingness to assist others when necessary.
- Ability to problem solve and exhibit conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to work early mornings, weekends and evenings, on call for snow removal
- Reliable transportation to and from work and a Class 5 driver’s license (no transit available to Spruce Meadows)
- Experience and certification in specialized equipment operation (skid steer, forklift, agricultural equipment, tractors, etc.) (Strong Asset)
- Current certificate in Standard First Aid & CPR Level C (Asset)
- Ability to speak a second language fluently (Asset)
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Work is in a fast-paced work environment. Successful applicants must be willing to work in a variety of different settings, and must work well in both team and individual scenarios. The Spruce Meadows venue operates in all weather conditions, from early mornings into late nights and on weekends.
The Spruce Meadows Mission Statement, the focus of excellent service, the heart and mind of the Southern Family is always at the forefront. This includes, but is not limited to, Spruce Meadows e-mail protocol, quotations, contracts, general correspondence and verbal communications; both in person and via telecommunications. All Spruce Meadows employees are expected to demonstrate and uphold the Spruce Meadows Mission Statement.
If you would be interested in joining our team, please mail, fax or email your resume to:
RE: Horticulturalist (Foreman)
18011 Spruce Meadows Way SW
Calgary, Alberta T2X 4B7
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
No phone calls please