Title: Tournament Support
Position: SEASONAL, Full Time (40-44h+ per week)
Expected Placement (subject to change): June 1, 2023* – July 10, 2023 / Sept 1 – Sept 10, 2023
Location: Spruce Meadows, 18011 Spruce Meadows Way SW, Calgary, AB T2X 4B7
Wage: $20-$22 per hour depending on experience
*Training may be required May 11-14, 2023
New for the 2023 Show Jumping Season, Spruce Meadows is looking to hire individuals in the Tournament Support role. This unique position has individuals working both behind the scenes and front of house, contributing to the success of Spruce Meadows for the outdoor show jumping season.
Spruce Meadows is a world-renowned show jumping (equestrian sport) venue located in southwest corner of Calgary, Alberta which holds a number of tournaments throughout the year. Events are held on weekends; therefore, it is necessary to be available to work weekends, overtime, early mornings, mornings, days, and evening/nights. Shifts will fluctuate to coincide with the busy Spruce Meadows Tournaments.
RESPONSIBILITIES (included, but are not limited to)
- The organization and set up of ribbon and trophy presentation material prior to the start of each tournament including (but not limited to): distribution of ribbons to their designated rings; polishing and cleaning of trophies.
- Ensure the distribution of championship blankets to their designated rings daily.
- Deliver the appropriate supplies and material to designated judge’s booths daily including but not limited to radios, bins (filled nightly by the tournament team)
- Complete presentations ceremonies following each competition.
- Upon completion of each competition, return official results to the Tournament Office
- Ensure Sponsor Playpens are organized, cleaned and stocked with appropriate material prior to the start of respective competitions.
- Dust, polish and clean a variety of display items in around Spruce Meadows (display case items).
- Maintain a professional demeanor throughout various situations.
- Assistance in other departments may be required during term of employment.
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Full availability during contract dates
- High school diploma
- No experience is required, however it is considered an asset have experience with horses (specifically in the sport of show jumping)
- Reliable transportation to and from work and a valid Class 5 driver’s license (there is no public transit available to Spruce Meadows)
- Driver’s abstract
- Available to work weekends, evenings, late nights, early morning, on call
- Comfortable with a physically demanding job including (but not limited to) handling heavy loads (40kg or greater) and standing bending, crouching and/or kneeling for longer periods of time
- Comfortable with working outdoors in all weather conditions including (but not limited to): hot, cold, wet and dry as well as dusty and noisy areas.
- Organizational proficiency
- Ability to multi-task and meet short deadlines
- Strong time management skills
- Communication in basic English (oral)
- Strong team approach and willingness to assist others when necessary
- Ability to problem solve and exhibit conflict resolution skills
- Current certificate in Standard First Aid & CPR Level C (Asset)
- Ability to speak a second language fluently (Asset)
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The Spruce Meadows Mission Statement, the focus of excellent service, the heart and mind of the Southern Family is always at the forefront. This includes but not limited to Spruce Meadows e-mail protocol, quotations, contracts, general correspondence and verbal communications; both in person and via telecommunications (See Spruce Meadows Policy and Procedure Manual, Spruce Meadows Code of Conduct, Spruce Meadows Confidentiality Agreement). – All Spruce Meadows employees are expected to demonstrate and uphold the Spruce Meadows Mission Statement.
If you are interested in joining our team, please email your resume to:
RE: Tournament Support
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
No phone calls please.